Program Host: CPR
Latin American states have largely embraced arbitration to settle disputes arising out of private investments in the public sector. In many LatAm states, sovereign consent to arbitrate disputes brought by foreign investors under investment treaties has been a key driver of investments in the region. While Brazil has not followed the same path, the Brazilian domestic legal framework has been substantially enhanced to allow the state to arbitrate disputes arising out of contracts executed with foreign investors.
The panel will discuss how foreign investors may navigate the differences and similarities between investor-state arbitrations in LatAm and contractual arbitrations involving the Brazilian state in order to better control the arbitral proceeding and the outcome of their disputes.
- CA CLE: Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer US LLP has been certified by the State Bar of California as an approved provider of MCLE.
- NY CLE: Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer US LLP has been certified by the New York State Continuing Legal Education Board as an Accredited Provider of Continuing Legal Education in the State of New York. This continuing legal education course has been approved in accordance with the requirements of the New York State CLE Rules and Regulations for credits as indicated above.
- Noiana Marigo, Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer
- Rafael Alves, MAMG Advogados
- Julio Rivera, Marval
- Carolina de Trazegnies, Independent Arbitrator